Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Tuna Pasta

And the adventure begins. Last night I cut an entire bunch of what I thought was parsley from our garden. Once I got it inside and starting cutting I realized that the parsley was actually cilantro. Oops. I must have been so excited that our garden was finally starting to bloom that I wasn't paying attention. It was in fact the first time I have yet to cook with something that I actually planted in the garden. But the fresh herbs were definitely worth the wait!!

Our Garden.
When I am cooking new recipes, or even old ones, I like to prepare every ingredient that I can before I start the actual process of cooking. Below is a step by step way to make Tuna Pasta with capers and fresh herbs (if you don't have a garden, no worries. You can purchase all of these herbs at your local grocery store).

This Tuna Pasta serves 2 and only takes around 25 minutes to make!
Tuna Pasta.
Ingredients
Salt and Pepper
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (More for drizzling over pasta).
Red pepper flakes to taste
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup yellow tomatoes
1/2 cup red tomatoes
3 cups penne pasta, (Approximately 1/2 pound)
1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary
1/8 cup parsley
4.5 ounce canned tuna in olive oil
1 tablespoon capers
Pecorino Romano Cheese (Or other cheese if you prefer)

Finely chop the garlic, rosemary and parsley. Half tomatoes if using mini. If using regular size tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces. Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot. Heat oil in a skillet over medium- high heat. Once oil is ready, add red pepper flakes and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Take out garlic and red pepper flakes and set aside in a bowl (don't worry if you cannot remove all of them, you will be adding back in later). Add the tomatoes to the oil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the rosemary, salt, and pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add back in  half of the garlic and red pepper flakes. Remove from heat. Stir in the tuna(with oil) and capers. Set sauce aside. Cook the pasta in boiling water for around 7 minutes or until al dente. When ready, strain the pasta and drizzle olive oil over. Stir in the pasta with the sauce. Sprinkle parsley and grate pecorini romano cheese over pasta.   Enjoy!

Finished Pasta with Grated Cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment